Need a good software with an easy interface?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

DanG2006 wrote:It is a good program. you have to have the disc name exactly the way they have it in the database for it to find it.
Did that - still says no results found! Think I'm gonna buy a karaoke player and go back to discs, this p.c. based malarky isnt as handy as they make it out to be!!

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

leftygt wrote:Did that - still says no results found! Think I'm gonna buy a karaoke player and go back to discs, this p.c. based malarky isnt as handy as they make it out to be!!
It's every bit as handy as it's made out to be for those with the foresight to properly name their song tracks AS they rip them. Blame yourself, not the technology.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Regardless of the database finally used...many songs/song files will have to be renamed manually anyway. :shock:

Every database is full of typos and misnamings.

Also most do go by alphabet with last name first. So you'll change and correct the database first or the files later.

There is nothing easy about doing things right the first time. Once it's done...it's done.
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

wiseguy wrote:
leftygt wrote:Did that - still says no results found! Think I'm gonna buy a karaoke player and go back to discs, this p.c. based malarky isnt as handy as they make it out to be!!
It's every bit as handy as it's made out to be for those with the foresight to properly name their song tracks AS they rip them. Blame yourself, not the technology.
Wow, some people just love stating the obvious! If I had done it in the first place this thread probably would'nt exist! Instead of mounting your high horse - why not chime in and help somebody seeing its "so handy"
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

leftygt wrote:Wow, some people just love stating the obvious! If I had done it in the first place this thread probably would'nt exist! Instead of mounting your high horse - why not chime in and help somebody seeing its "so handy"
With all due respect leftygt, I would say that poeple on this forum are bending over backwards to help you out.

It does you no credit to sound off at someone who is simply trying to help you sort out an issue of your own making.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

leftygt wrote:Wow, some people just love stating the obvious! If I had done it in the first place this thread probably would'nt exist! Instead of mounting your high horse - why not chime in and help somebody seeing its "so handy"
The obvious is that you screwed up and are now trying to find a quick fix. It's not going to happen. Bite the bullet and name the songs manually.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have 30 new discs laying here right now. I had to manually type most of the songs into the update list.

I may have to manually name all 288 song files. I do this every 3 months.

And yes I have to make a bunch of corrections. One of the discs is a 3 set. It was revised and they changed about 10 songs out of 50. :shock:

You can't trust any database.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

One more issue.

If you have any songs that are dupes if they aren't named exactly the same they could come up as different songs or in the wrong place alphabetically. So they will need manual attention.
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

mnementh wrote:
With all due respect leftygt, I would say that poeple on this forum are bending over backwards to help you out.

It does you no credit to sound off at someone who is simply trying to help you sort out an issue of your own making.

Sandy
Sandy, with all due respect I dont think wiseguys intentions were that of somone wanting to help, just to state the obvious and be negative. even his second post sounds like a personal (allbeit mild) attack - does he need to say I screwed up? I dont think so as I would'nt be looking for help if I had'nt. Am I looking for a quick fix? No - just a fix! whats the point in having all this technology if you cant use it? Its like having a super-calculator and using an abacus!

Youself , bigdog and others on the other hand have been extremely helpful, to which I am greatful for. Is this not discussion forums are all about? somebody has a problem - they look for help. But as long as there are blokes who dont want to contribute, just be negative, there will always be a type of "cyber bully" - guys who hide behing computers talking trash normally saying stuff they wouldnt have the balls to in the real world!
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

HI leftygt,
while waiting for Peter Sobol to came back to me, the thought struck me that this can't be such an uncommon problem so decided to have a surf for more info.

Please Google for Rename files from text or Rename files from list

You'll be in for a shock.

This one struck my eye, fairly quickly;

www.monkeyjob.com/RenList.html

I haven't evaluated it yet but it looks like it will do the job.

However and it's a BIG however, you will still have to do some work for your result.

It seems it only renames 1 file per line of imported text, so you would need to do 2 sweeps of your folder(s) to rename both MP3 & CDG files. No big deal for the result.

However, here's s simple trick to rename multiple folders at a time.

Download and install a program called ExplorerXP.

This is a File Manager, like Windows Explorer but it has a good file renamer (not good enough to do what you're looking for BTW).

Use the rename function to reNUMBER your track01, track02....files in each folder so they are consecutively numbered, i.e. you end up with 001track01.MP3 to xxxname.MP3 AND 001track01.CDG, xxxname.CDG

For example, your Sunfly's 260 to 270 would yield 001track01.MP3 to 150track15.MP3 plus 001track01.CDG to 150track15.CDG. (N.B. I have dredged these numbers out of thin air. There might be more or less tracks in total)

Thus, each pair is uniquely numbered.

Import a text file into the File Renamer program that has ALL 150 correct names and rename ALL 150 MP3 files, THEN all 150 CDG files.

You're still going to have to work for it but it will decimate the time required to do the job.

BUT FIRST, REMEMBER, REMEMBER, REMEMBER TO BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Sandy
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

Sounds good Sandy, where do you get the text file with the correct names?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Even if it goes out on the internet to search. There will be many typos and misnamings. It will still require you to check each file individually to be sure it's correct.

I'm going through this right now with the news discs I bought. KJ Pro contains typos and misnamings. Some of it's their fault and some because they got the info from the manufacturers and they were wrong. Artists names spelled wrong. The song title spelled wrong.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

leftygt wrote:Sounds good Sandy, where do you get the text file with the correct names?
Generated with Song List Creator.

Your other options are to go to the website of your discs and copy and paste track lists from your browser to Word, or other word processor.

There's no easy way to do this, I'm afraid, just elbow grease.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

leftygt wrote:
Youself , bigdog and others on the other hand have been extremely helpful, to which I am greatful for. Is this not discussion forums are all about? somebody has a problem - they look for help. But as long as there are blokes who dont want to contribute, just be negative, there will always be a type of "cyber bully" - guys who hide behing computers talking trash normally saying stuff they wouldnt have the balls to in the real world!
This is a discussion forum. This forum is different than most. You are pretty much able to discuss whatever you want here in a reasonable manner.

On some karaoke forums if you do not conform and your answers are not as the "click" in charge thinks they should be, you will be quickly banned.

You would have to work very hard at getting banned from this forum. :D
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

Bigdog wrote:
leftygt wrote:
This is a discussion forum. This forum is different than most. You are pretty much able to discuss whatever you want here in a reasonable manner.

On some karaoke forums if you do not conform and your answers are not as the "click" in charge thinks they should be, you will be quickly banned.

You would have to work very hard at getting banned from this forum. :D
Thats all I'm looking for bigdog, advise. I dont need sombody to tell me where I messed up. I'll be as civil as I can be, and I will appreciate any advise given. I'm new to this, and things that seem simple to a lot of people here will seem out of reach for me - but you can only learn what you are shown. the unfortunate thing about the internet is it gives people a chance to flex muscles they dont have and they can basically be as nasty as they want with no recourse. I genuinley love open discussion and even the odd argument - in the right spirit of the dicussion.

I have already learned a great deal from yourself, Sandy and a couple of others.

Thanks