upsetting singers when and how to quit or end a evening

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
oneofakind

upsetting singers when and how to quit or end a evening

Post by oneofakind »

I need some advise on when and how to call last call for singers! I had a lady that I only see about once every 3 months come to my Fri gig a couple weeks ago. she sang 3 songs and was in the rotation for the 4th. I called her name 2 times but she was outside smoking and I got no response from her. I also counted down the last songs at the end of the evening.

I then ended the night and had my equipment shut down and she came back out of the beer garden / smokers place and complained to me saying I never called her name and I skipped her. I then told her that I didn't skip her and didn't want to argue with her, saying I was sorry but my night had ended. I also was on over time getting paid a 3 hour price for what should be a 3 hour gig but it almost always is 4 hours. Meaning the owner gives me the freedom to decide when I want to shut down according to how many singers I have at the time. I don't know what to do? This lady had supported me in the past but not that often I sent her a email explaining my situation with the time and money thing. I hope she will get over it!

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I operate a strict "3 strikes and you're out" policy and if I'm running over time, it's in words of stone.

You shouted for her twice and she wasn't there! Tough luck, I'm afraid.

Is she so dense that she didn't understand the lateness of the hour, or that YOU were generous in allowing the extra time?

You did right!

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There will be times when some of your singers will act like total jerks. You can't make everyone happy 100% of the time.

Smoking and drinking seems to have taken priority instead of singing. Is that your fault?

I have had people think I was screwing with their sound, think I didn't change the key for them, accuse me of rigging karaoke contests, get mad because someone else sang "their" song. None of which is true, but when they cloud their mind with alcohol...it's true.

People seem to forget all the times you play over for free and stayed to squeeze them in.

If she comes back act like nothing happened. If she acts like a jerk, screw her.... :lol:

:oops:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Respect works both ways. You show your singers respect and you should expect the same in return. If this person doesn't care enough to let you know that they will be unavailable for a few minutes then you have no obligation to keep them in the rotation if they are not there when called. I would never apologize for something that is their fault.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:Respect works both ways. You show your singers respect and you should expect the same in return. If this person doesn't care enough to let you know that they will be unavailable for a few minutes then you have no obligation to keep them in the rotation if they are not there when called. I would never apologize for something that is their fault.
I mostly agree except...they are usually the ones with the biggest mouth that will spread untruths about you to other singers at other shows. :billyclub:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I watch the time and the rotation when the end of the night starts approaching. Depending on how many singers are in the rotation, I have a good idea of how long it will take to run them all through.

If the roataion is 1 1/2 hours long and staying steady..I pick up the song books up about 1:45 till the end of the night. I usually give the bar a free 15 minutes. Like the 13th donut bakers dozen.

Picking up the books is an indicator that I have enough singers to fill out the night. Plus it saves slips from being wasted on songs that won't get sung. I always pick the books up as fast as possible so they don't find one and try to squeeze another slip in.

Then before I put them "out of sight," I stuff them with pencils, slips, calenders and wipe off any crap and spills.

I also have a sign that says "no more requests."

Sometimes I have open spaces because the singer in that spot hasn't given me another song request after their last song. I'll still take a request from them.

If it's getting real close to quitting time and I have a bunch of people crying to sing another song...I'll try to play till the end of the rotation if possible and time allows. But I have also quit at the end of a rotation to keep someone from singing again and I know it will cause a problem because others crying about their turn won't be mad. Did you follow that? I don't need someone thinking somebody else was taken care of. They got another song how come I can't?

This happens when a person 8 slots down the new (next) rotation wants to sing again. That means I have to play 7 other people first to be fair. That's a half hours worth of songs. If my scheduled 4 hours and 15 minutes is going to be up at the end of the last rotation...I call it a night. Nobody else sings. That way number 8 isn't taken care of, making 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 mad because they got skipped. And I didn't play an extra payless half hour. But usually time wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

I have on many occasions played longer to make sure everyone gets to sing at least one time. For the late comers. With a 2 hour rotation, even though they got there at 2 hours before quitting time, they will only get one song in. So I want everyone to get one in. They still made an attempt at getting there. But the rotation length is against them. I try to be as fair as possible with everyone.

2 reasons. It makes them happy and it keeps them from going to other shows and complaining about you. I was there 2 hours and he wouldn't let me sing. :cry:

It may bump someone that has been there four hours waiting, but 2 hours of waiting is worth something too. I know you will say it's fair, but unfair. Yes and no. If you were in a bar two hours and couldn't sing would you be mad?

The person there 4 hours did get to sing probably 2-3 times. A person there 2 hours should at least sing once. That's how I look at it and run my rotation. Everyone should at least sing once during the night. Unless you came in 15 minutes before closing. Or depending on the length of the rotation. If it's packed and I put the sign out 1 1/2 hours ago...too bad.

If it's packed don't mess around, get your slip in as fast as possible to insure a spot. And don't make me look for you all night.

I had one time I can remember where I told a regular that I couldn't get them in for one song. He came pretty late and the placed was extremely packed. Wall to wall and 38 singers. I felt bad telling him that but...So I try to get one for all and all for one. People only sang two songs if they came early and stayed till the end. Most sang once and left because they didn't want to wait 2 hours for their next song. It makes them mad but what can I do about it.

Sometimes you become a victim of too much success. Everyone wants to sing with you and so many show up they can't get to sing enough. :roll:
I actually hate those nights when they complain about too many singers.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

They know it's the "end-of-the-night" when I announce the beginning of the last round. And as each one sings, they will see thier name is erased off the sign-up board.
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]